Tuesday, June 1, 2010

New Construction

A couple of weeks ago I was privledged to participate in an unusual construction project.  I am not even sure what this type of construction is called, but the completed home will be able to withstand 100 MPH winds and 10 feet of snow, at least!  Note how all the beams have tongues that fit inside of grooves and then 8 sided wooden pegs are driven into them to lock them together.
Once the frames are together they are stood upright by a lot of guys lifting them.  Then beams are put in that lock the frames together.  This has got to be the most durable construction design.  I know it has been used to build large barns, but this is the first time I have seen it used in a house.

I have researched it and it is called 'post and beam', 'timber frame' or 'mortise and tenon' construction.

No comments: