Tuesday, April 28, 2015

I am working on a book of LED Cube Projects

I have been working on a book of LED Cube Projects.  It might end up being two books one for the Arduino and one for the Raspberry Pi.  So far I have built a 4x4x5 LED cube and a 8x8x8 LED cube. Coming up next is a Color Cube likely 6x6x6 in size.

Here is a picture of the 8x8x8 LED Cube from above.

This first picture is of a 3D slice cutting through the cube.

Here is a link to the video: https://youtu.be/g9kaYzO85oM

This next video is of "falling rain" 

Here is a link to that video: https://youtu.be/-tZJ-3NSlhY

Here is a picture of it running with a Raspberry Pi.
Here is a link to that video: https://youtu.be/eRgVuaLHWls

Thursday, April 23, 2015

Epson Powerlite 62C Repair

I recently purchased another pile of used projectors to repair and then send to Africa.  However three of them need more than just cleaning.  I have determined that the problem is in the optics.  Basically the blue LCD is about 30-50% shot.  There are lots of dark spots in a blue background.
The problem is that the LCD section is one unit otherwise I could swap the LCD's between the three projectors and hopefully get two of them to work.

I like the Epson LCD projectors because they are a lot more rugged that the Dell 2300MP DLP projectors.  However the LCD's have an air filter and if it gets clogged the projector overheats and damages the LCD's.  I explained how to replace the filter in a previous post.

Here is what the outside of them looks like.

Wednesday, April 15, 2015

RAWNY Mini Hamfest Buffalo NY

Once again this year I attended the mini Hamfest.  It is just for a couple hours in the evening but you get to talk to a lot of interesting people as well as sell and buy a lot of stuff.  I think I managed to leave with less stuff than what I came in with.

Here is a picture of my table.  I did not bring the bins from my shed this year.

Here is another table or two.

Here was some really nice radio's.  Sorry I chopped off the picture of the seller....

And here are some more tables of great stuff!

Thursday, April 9, 2015

Refurbishing Projectors for Africa.

I spent a weekend fixing seven Dell 2300MP Projectors.  In every projector the power supply was not working.  I replaced the same capacitor in all seven projectors.  The problem part is a 22uF at 50 volt cap.  I replaced it with a 22uF at 63 volt cap.  Out of the seven projectors changing the capacitor fixed five of them.  One power supply had some burnt parts and a burnt circuit board.

This is what my closet looks like.  The 2300MP projector are on the right.

Here is a picture of how to bend the leads on the capacitor.

This picture shows where the capacitor goes.  It is not yet soldered in the picture.

 Here is a picture of a pile of projectors, I worked on them three or four at a time.

I had to glue some of the power supply support posts in place.  The projectors had all been dropped, likely in shipping, and the support posts that hold them together were loose.